As a multi instrumentalist, in-demand producer and re-mixer, a DJ with his finger on the cutting edge of contemporary sounds, and an ear tastefully cocked to the hippest soul, jazz and funk music from the 60´s and 70´s, Adam Gibbons, the young man at the centre of the Lack Of Afro phenomenon, has already established an unrivalled reputation as one of the most crucial names at work in funk and dance music today.
The LOA story began back in 2006 after excited word spread to the Freestyle Records offices about the sounds Adam was creating, Freestyles´ head honcho DJ Adrian Gibson instantly signed him and released the stunning debut single Wait A Minute. One of the labels fastest selling 12s ever, it has gone onto sell massive numbers worldwide and appeared on countless compilations.
The subsequent 2007 album Press On fulfilled his early promise, with Adam playing nearly all the instruments himself. Hailed by iDJ magazine as one of the greatest albums of the modern funk era the release passed into contemporary music folklore. Now, in 2009 with ´My Groove, Your Move´, Lack Of Afro dispels the ´difficult second album´ syndrome without even breaking a sweat. Featuring vocal contributions from the amazing Roxie Ray (Dojo Cuts) on the suitably sultry numbers ´Closer To Me´ and ´Tell Me What Happens Now´
In addition You Tube hip hop prodigies Wax & Herbal T bust out all over the slamming club killer ´International´ and ´Suspicious Glow´ Whilst retaining the signature Lack Of Afro elements of deep dish drums, Nick Radfords rootsy guitar picking, ex Ocean Colour Scenes´ Damon Minchellas´ thundering bass, spliced with intelligent use of rare samples My Groove, Your Move is without doubt an even more confident, assured and mature collection than its predecessor. This album is a high octane, trail blazing and innovative venture that is comfortable with it´s own past, our present and everyone´s´ future.
Digital Track List
- 1 Biding Our Own Time (Intro) Lack Of Afro 0:43 Buy
- 2 Special Baby Lack Of Afro 4:37 Buy
- 3 International Lack of Afro feat. Wax, Herbal T 4:32 Buy
- 4 Together at Last Lack Of Afro 4:48 Buy
- 5 Mo' Filth Lack Of Afro 4:54 Buy
- 6 Beautiful Here Lack Of Afro 3:52 Buy
- 7 Closer to Me Lack Of Afro feat. Roxie Ray 4:26 Buy
- 8 The Basis Lack Of Afro 5:10 Buy
- 9 Suspicious Glow Lack of Afro, Wax 4:22 Buy
- 10 Rejection in 6/8 Time Lack Of Afro 4:00 Buy
Lack Of Afro
- Lack Of Afro
- Press On - 15 Year Anniversary - LTD Edition Organic Cotton T-shirt
- The Bastion Music Group
- Release Date
- March 11, 2022